Building your first business is overwhelming. Despite your passion and drive, you will face obstacles and challenges along the way. Figuring out and understanding how to start an online business is far from an overnight process. Nonetheless, you shouldn’t be discouraged from pursuing your goals.
In this episode, Kavit Haria shares his beginnings, from his music career to developing his products and growing his first enterprise. He shares how first-time business owners must exhibit clarity and consistency. Additionally, it is crucial to capture the attention of your audience. He executed this by finding a system of automation where he can compile emails and his newsletters. Kavit also emphasized the value of practicing. It creates grit and determination to push through hindrances.
If you are interested in learning how to start an online business and gradually increase your income, this episode is for you. Tune in for more mind-blowing and life-changing tips on how to start an online business!
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Discover how Kavit transformed his life from attending music gigs to generating seven figures of income
- Gain insights into the process of how to start an online business, the common mistakes people make, and how to overcome them.
- Explore essential and foundational online marketing strategies shared by Kavit
- The 49 Ways to Promote Your Music on the Internet by Kavit Haria
- How To Turn $30,000 Into $300 Million by Paul Tracy
- Getting Everything You Can Out of All You’ve Got by Jay Abraham
- The Ultimate Sales Machine by Chet Holmes
- Interview with Mitch Russo
- How Quiet Power Strategy Works by Tara McMullin
- The 12 Week Year by Brian Moran and Michael Lennington
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
How Kavit Generated Business Off the Internet
- Kavit shares his inspiration from a friend interested in health and has written books about common diseases and diet.
- He realized the value of focusing on selling results rather than selling the product.
- Profiting off the internet with his music didn’t happen overnight.
- Similar to what his friend did, he wrote a book to gather all the information he could find about promoting music on the web.
- Interestingly, people had visited his site, and for the next two months, he started to write another six books.
Capturing Kavit’s Audiences
- For months people were visiting his site but were doing nothing.
- Eventually, Kavit found a service called Constant Contact where people can input their email addresses.
- It is important to have their email addresses to encourage them to spend on his other books.
- After a year of constantly emailing them a newsletter, he generated some sales.
- Kavit read an article tackling how to collect ideas, turn them into an e-book and repurpose it. Continue listening to discover how Kavit successfully produced more sales and built coaching programs in the subsequent periods.
The Organic and Slow Process
- Kavit’s goal was to earn around one thousand dollars a month initially.
- In the process, he learned how to do emailing systems, apart from writing his music.
- At this time, he didn’t know how to set a time frame for releasing products.
- Instead of achieving all of these in two months, he spread it into a year.
- Kavit also started to reward people who helped him share and recommend his products, specifically his DVD program.
How to Start an Online Business
- Find the most profitable idea so you can launch your business with clarity, confidence and certainty.
- If you do not nail this idea, you will have less confidence and certainty in starting your business.
- Kavit emphasizes the importance of going outside to conduct surveys and marketing research.
- Do an online analysis of your competitors by asking them or spying on them.
- It is also helpful to find the traffic analysis of your competitor websites. Listen to the full episode for marketing research tips.
The Next Step
- When figuring out how to start an online business, you need to know the best business model and approach for you. How can you best share what you have with the world?
- To push forward, you focus on your strengths and the opportunities around you.
- Kavit coined a term he called the “user journey,” which refers to the process of becoming a visitor from being a random person.
- After capturing information, you can start nurturing the sequence and building a relationship with your audiences.
- Kavit also discusses the four stages of “lead flow,” including lead generation, lead capture, lead nurture, and lead conversion to generate results.
Common Mistakes People Make
- Only a tiny fraction of people would take the knowledge and execute what they’ve learned to generate results.
- To combat this, Kavit created a one-stop-shop for everything about strategy, structure, implementation, and marketing launch.
- People would also get stuck with creating their content and what’s in the package.
- There are so many things to do that people tend to get overwhelmed with the process.
Best Advice to Start Growing
- Kavit advises people to unsubscribe from as many newsletters they don’t read religiously enough.
- He also says to go out and find time to socialize.
- In Parkinson’s Law, no matter how much time you dedicate to a project, this time will contribute to its completion.
- With this, Kavit significantly cut down his working hours to 3 to 4 times a day.
- Thirdly, follow the 80%-20% rule. 20% of your process should work so well that it produces 80% of your output.
Kavit’s Habits for Success
- The key is consistency and commitment to your actions.
- As an analogy, Kavit uses his background in music, where he needs to practice consistently.
- The most important thing is working smart.
- Sit down and figure out how you can produce the best results from the shortest possible time.
- Figure out exactly what you bring to the table, who it is for, and how you can efficiently accomplish your work.
What’s Holding Him Back
- Kavit shares that he is struggling to find the perfect team.
- Another obstacle for him is to constantly create a bigger vision for his career.
- However, Kavit believes that if he can grow and develop his vision, he could be in a different place in a week.
- Additionally, he expounds on how there is too much noise in the world, which typically holds people back.
- They do not have the time to pause and think about what they genuinely want to do.
5 Powerful Quotes
“They’re not exactly sure about which ones would work or, or you know, and they want to find the right direction. And the key is to nail that idea. First of all, find the most profitable idea that you have so that you can launch your business with clarity, confidence and certainty.”
“You’ve got this value that you’ve got, this strength that you’ve got that you can take out to the real world. And so long as you focus on that, and forget the rest of the weaknesses, forget about the other threats that come in the way. Focus on your strengths and your opportunities. And you’ll be able to push that forward.”
“The biggest challenge that most people have is overwhelm. Where there’s just so much to do, so many people to contact, so many people to manage in this process, and they just don’t know where to start. And where to stop and where to continue.”
“The key is consistent action. And I’ve been an action taker as far as I can remember because I don’t wait to see whether it works or whether I feel good about it. If I get a really good idea, and I’m good about it, and I’ve done my research, I’ll just act on it.”
“Building a business doesn’t have to be about, ‘Oh, I need to go get my business cards printed. I need to print my letterhead. I need to design a website.’ Really, it’s not about that. What it’s really about is figuring out exactly what you bring to the table, exactly who it’s for, and figuring out a method to get it to them.”
Kavit Haria founded his first company, Insider Music Business, in 2005, where he focused on the production and training of independent musicians. In 2013, he launched his second company, Insider Internet Success, where he helped business owners and service providers grow profitable automated online businesses. Today, he works as the Director of Jay Shetty Certification School, where he provides comprehensive business coaching services.
Kavit has been featured in business- and marketing-related podcasts, including Entrepreneur on Fire with John Lee Dumas and The Boomer Business Owner with Charlie Poznek. He has also been an active speaker in multiple conferences worldwide, including the Social Media Summit, the Traffic Generation Summit, and Expert Empires in 2017. Recently, Kavit has written his first book, Don’t Sleep on It!, tackling his journey from being a musician to becoming a successful online entrepreneur.
If you want to reach out to Kavit, you can find him on his LinkedIn profile, or you can visit his website dedicated to helping self-starters with how to start an online business at Insider Internet Success.
Enjoyed This Podcast?
Learning how to start an online business is not a walk in the park for many. In a cutthroat industry, it helps to hear from people who have experience and expertise to achieve growth and success. If you enjoyed the podcast, be sure to subscribe and share it with your friends!
Post a review and share it! If you enjoyed tuning in, then leave us a review. You can also share this with your family and friends to inspire them to take ownership of their lives.