The most challenging part of achieving a goal is getting things started. We often struggle with taking the first step in reaching our dreams. As a consequence, we put our skills and ideas at risk of getting wasted. Learning how to focus and prioritize will help you build momentum. Laser in on that one thing you want to do, do it, and become one of the 1000+ successful entrepreneurs on fire!
In this episode, award-winning podcaster John Lee Dumas shares with us his journey to building a successful podcast business. He talks about the importance of focusing on a goal and setting priorities. John also shares his learning habits and other business insights. Tune in and learn more about the secrets to building a successful podcast business and being an entrepreneur on fire!
John Lee Dumas is the founder and host of the award-winning podcast, Entrepreneurs on Fire. He interviews successful entrepreneurs to help his listeners in their entrepreneurial journey. John commits to shaping more entrepreneurs by creating free, valuable, and consistent content.
Discover the Secrets of Successful Entrepreneurs on Fire
John’s Life Before Podcasting
- John loved having fun and enjoying life.
- He was never an entrepreneur before venturing into podcasting.
- His first real venture was his podcast, Entrepreneurs on Fire.
Recurring Theme Among Successful Entrepreneurs on Fire
- First, the most successful people found a mentor. It must not be any mentor, but somebody who is where you specifically want to be.
- Second, quoting Jim Rohn, “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.”
- Look at the people around you and avoid those who are just wasting your time. Open the door and let in the amazing people.
- Third, educate yourself. The most successful people always want to improve and learn.
Insights on Formal Business Education
- For John, formal education pushes the buck down the road. You risk acquiring debts.
- You are wasting time because you are not doing the thing you want to do. Instead, you must learn from people who are actually doing it.
- If you have a college degree, you have gone far enough.
- Do not start accruing the entrepreneur’s biggest enemy, which is debt.
On Staying Focused
- F.O.C.U.S. stands for “follow one course until success.”
- When John started podcasting, he had no online presence, but he was focused.
- When you are focused, you will figure out a way to do things.
- Be excited and start your momentum.
How to Prioritize
- John believes in Pareto’s Principle. This principle suggests that 20% of your activities will account for 80% of the outcome.
- Ask yourself what your 20% is. Does it provide your desired outcomes?
Success Habits for Entrepreneurs on Fire
- Get better every day. Take little steps.
- These little steps will end up being something massive down the road.
- At first, John did not have a successful podcast.
- Take the first step and build upon that day by day.
- The road is not going to be easy. You have to make sacrifices.
- Know the sacrifices you have to make and be willing to do them.
John’s Future Projects
- John is working on his first physical product.
- The journal is called Freedom Journal: Accomplish Your #1 Goal in 100 Days.
Other Business Insights
- It is always about going back to the basics and keeping things simple.
- “If you want to be, do.” You have to do that thing you want and be willing to be bad at it.
- According to Malcolm Gladwell, you need 10,000 hours of practice to become world-class in a particular field. Start working on your 10,000 hours.
- Free Podcast Course by John Lee Dumas
- PodcastersParadise by John Lee Dumas
- Free Webinar Course by John Lee Dumas
- Entrepreneurs On Fire Podcast by John Lee Dumas
- The Freedom Journal by John Lee Dumas
- The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy
- The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson
- The First 20 Hours - How to Learn Anything by Josh Kaufman
- Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
Level Of evidence
Endorsements & Certifications
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
LEVEL OF EVIDENCE
MAGNITUDE OF EFFECT
CONSISTENCY OF RESEARCH RESULTS
Sales Strategy & Skills
Business Operating Systems