Not everyone is born a salesperson. Some get uncomfortable with referrals or having to decide instantly on our actions. We value space and need a reasonable time to think before we can carefully plan and execute our next steps for the business. But if you take too long, how can you get your customers to multiply themselves?
In this episode, Steve Gordon shares his expertise in referral marketing. He also discusses how to make a “referral kit,” a powerful marketing strategy.
He also shares some practical tips on how budding entrepreneurs can deal with the challenges they might face. Steve also talks about how you can create the reality you want for your business.
About Our Guest:
Steve Gordon is the founder of The Unstoppable CEO and the author of Unstoppable Referrals: 10x Referrals Half the Effort and The Exponential Network Strategy. He helps business entrepreneurs make leveraged marketing systems intending to lessen their time in dealing with the technical side of the business so that they can focus more on the essentials.
Unstoppable Referrals: Get Customers to Multiply Themselves
- Steve was trained in the technical field and went to an engineering school.
- He was 28 years old when he became CEO of a consulting firm.
- They did not have an organized system of getting referrals. This sparked his interest in marketing, to get customers to multiply themselves. He only learned by experience.
- He started with direct response marketing. The firm grew, and he enjoyed getting involved in the marketing and sales aspects.
- He then decided to focus on that side.
Biggest Challenge in Marketing
- The biggest challenge that he was able to conquer was starting the firm that he is currently running.
- He thought that starting his own company would be easy. But figuring everything from scratch is his toughest challenge.
Overcoming Challenges to Get Customers
- As entrepreneurs, persistence is vital. You need to be unstoppable.
- You will continuously encounter things beyond your knowledge and control, but you need to keep on slogging until you find the right path.
- Steve keeps in mind what he wants to create. He stays consistent and persistent until he moves closer to his goals.
Advice For Starters
- The first problem that needs to be solved is how to get customers. One of the ways to do this is through getting referrals.
- Referral marketing boils down to two things; first is asking a lot, and second is following up for that client or referred prospect.
- Not all people are comfortable asking for referrals since not all are born as a salesman or saleswoman.
How to Have Unstoppable Referrals
- Steve was able to narrow down the problem with referral marketing. People are uncomfortable going to a sales meeting, especially with those they do not know personally.
- He suggests that the sales meeting should be removed in the first step of the process to open the flow of referrals.
- It can lead to lowering the barrier, and the door remains open for referrals.
- They can use “the referral kit,” which includes all the necessary information about the business.
- It gives the person a space to decide whether to avail of the products/services or not.
The Referral Kit: Tool to Get Customers to Multiply Themselves
- The kit is client-specific and has four parts.
- First, you need to determine who their ideal client is. It will not work if you are targeting a broad category.
- Second, you need to identify the problems a prospective group of potential clients is facing. Likewise, identify the possible opportunities that may be available for that group.
- Third, talk a little bit about the solution.
- Fourth is “the next step offer,” which is not an offer to sell the product or the solution. Instead, it gives the customer a possible option for their next step. Often, that will be the sales meeting.
Biggest Hurdles and Greatest Milestones
- Steve became a CEO at age 28. He had a lot of success in the previous industry he was in, and he has won several awards. Although that is the case, he felt that he was playing a small game back then.
- It took him ten years to grow so that he can play a bigger game.
- If you are in the entrepreneurial world, you have the gift of freedom and the gift to share.
- It would be best if you were realistic. But at the same time, THINK BIG.
Common Mistakes of Entrepreneurs
- One of the mistakes entrepreneurs commit is how they use their time.
- The one who uses his day most effectively wins.
- Try not to do a lot of things at the same time but maintain focus.
- “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.” —Calvin Coolidge
For more insights about Referral marketing, connect with Steve through the Unstoppable CEO’s website.
- Do you already have a successful business, meaning you're up, running, and paying your bills with some profit left over?
- Are you interested in growing your business, automating/streamlining things, and staying one step ahead of your competition?
- Do you want to achieve your goals, get more things done in less time, and double your sales? Sign up for our 21-Day Double Your Sales Challenge.
📨 If you can answer YES to all three questions, please reach out to me through Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/daryl.urbanski, and describe your situation, goals, and the best time/way to contact you.