The Internet—specifically the rise of social media—has impacted not only communication and data transmission but also how businesses market themselves. With Facebook being the biggest social network, it’s no surprise it’s THE most powerful online marketing tool. But before getting blinded by the tech, we’ll let you in on a secret formula to Facebook marketing success.
In this episode, Ben Simkin joins us to discuss how Facebook Ads changed and is continually changing the online marketing space. He shares the secrets behind scaling and the mindset that it takes to be successful in online marketing and advertising.
If you want to know what you need to speed up your Facebook and Instagram marketing, this episode is for you!
Here are three reasons why you should listen to this episode:
- Understand the power of Facebook marketing.
- Discover the three-step formula to any successful marketing.
- Find out how to scale and find success through online marketing.
- The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier
- The Perfect Day Formula by Craig Ballantyne
- Psycho-Cybernetics by Dr. Maxwell Maltz
- Theory of Constraints by Eliyahu M. Goldratt
- Connect with Ben: Facebook | Instagram.
- Build a successful business with BestBusinessCoach.ca.
[01:25] How Ben Got into Online Marketing
- Ben used to run a tech company.
- He taught himself five programming languages at the age of 16.
Ben: “There's nothing that I can't figure out by getting the right information, getting the right advice, reading the right books—there's nothing that I can't figure out. So I kind of go into that mentality where it's like, ‘Well, I wanna learn how to do online marketing, so I'm gonna start to just go down that rabbit hole and figure all this stuff out.”
- He ended up selling his tech company to start a marketing agency—BusinessNet.
[03:42] The Early Days of Online Paid Advertising
- There were no Facebook and Google AdWords before.
- You’d have to find list brokers who would rent you an email list based on demographics.
- The problem was eventually running out of lists and waiting for a month or two to send emails again.
[04:39] The Power of Facebook Marketing
- The formula for successful marketing is Target + Offer + Message.
- Facebook Ads made it easier to get the right target because it also considers psychographics.
- The Facebook AI platform lets you target people based on what they’ll buy next week.
[07:39] Facebook Marketing for Beginners
- Don’t get blinded by the tech; focus on the basic formula.
- Find out who’s your target market situationally—meet them where they’re at.
- Play by the rules and read the terms of service to avoid violations.
[12:37] The Biggest Fundamentals You Should Work On
- Don’t be driven as much as you should be driven and have no sense of urgency.
- Don’t take money out of the business instead of reinvesting it.
- Don’t be impatient and demand instant results.
- Focus on delivering more value to your customers than getting peer validation.
Ben: “If you are in it to gain the approval of your peers, you're doing it wrong. You should be gaining the approval of your clients and customers. That's where you should be focusing.”
- True happiness is inside us—its three elements include self expression, creativity, and serving others.
[19:41] From Manual Process to Semi-Automated Marketing
- Understand your target market and have a definite offer that they want.
- Run ads on Facebook through a landing page, funnel, message, etc.
- Tune in to the episode for Ben’s analogy about selling Nike shoes in a retirement home versus a runners’ club!
[22:35] Why People Change Products Too Frequently
- The problem isn’t the product—it’s either the target or the offer, which is how you present the product.
- Knowing the context and aim for the right target.
- Work on getting one offer profitable, not running around trying to sell different things.
[24:08] The Marriage Between Online and Offline Sales
- You need investment capital to afford to advertise online.
- Learn how to sell face to face.
Ben: “The best marketing people are the ones that know how to sell face to face, the ones that know how to pound the pavement—press the flesh.”
- If you can get a complete stranger’s trust in person, you can also do it online.
[25:41] How to Scale and Limit
- Once you’ve figured out everything, systemize all of them and hand them to the next person without deviating from the process.
- Grow and scale one person at a time based on a systemic, codified way of doing things.
- You need to test every single process in your system.
- Practice discipline, focus, and effort.
- If you’re not good at certain areas, hire people with the ability and desire to do them.
[30:39] Daily Habits to Success
- Read, study, and create your own content.
- Keep creating, helping, and serving other people.
- Stay in touch with clients and the people you work with.
- Being healthy and meditating also helps a lot.
[32:53] Developing a Company Culture
- Ben gives everyone in his team absolute and final power over anything.
- Trust is a critical element in creating company culture.
- Self-image is important—send it out first, and it will come back to you.
- Conflicts root in the system, not people.
[37:49] What’s Next for Online Marketing
- Going into recession results in transference, not evaporation of wealth and jobs.
- Luck = opportunity + preparedness.
[40:48] Finding Success in Online Marketing
- Develop your personal issues alongside your business skills.
- Build a moat around your business that makes it difficult to compete against you.
- Think about your target, offer, and message first before deciding on the format.
- The question is more important than the answer.
[48:30] What Holds People Back
- What holds most people back is themselves.
- Your wealth doesn’t define your worth as a human being.
Ben Simkin is the founder of BusinessNET, one of the top marketing agencies globally. Since its establishment, the company’s lead generation tactics have resulted in over $2 billion in sales for clients. In 2018, Facebook Inc. bestowed VIP advertising status to BusinessNET.
Ben is recognized by the Huffington Post as the World’s #1 Facebook marketer. He has worked with celebrities and public figures all over the world, such as Kerwin Rae and companies such as Canterbury. He has also been featured in Forbes, Inc. Magazine, and CNBC.
Enjoyed This Podcast?
If you did, be sure to subscribe and share it with your friends!
Post a review and share it! If you enjoyed tuning in, then leave us a review. You can also share this with your friends and family. This episode can help them develop and implement a successful Facebook marketing campaign.